With garlic, chilli and spring onions, this scrumptious veggie dish is very easy to make and goes with absolutely anything.
This dish finds a well-known place in households, particularly round lunchtime. It’s fast and simple to make, and goes effectively with absolutely anything, be it steamed fish or spicy fried rooster.
That mentioned, whereas it’s easy, there are just a few particular methods to getting it excellent:
- the cabbage must be very finely shredded;
- the garlic must be gently heated by way of the oil, not fried; and
- seasoning must be stored to a minimal.
The tip end result can be utterly completely different if the cabbage was chopped or sliced into wedges, or if the garlic was fried, or if it was seasoned an excessive amount of whereas cooking.
The secret’s in bringing forth the pure sweetness of the cabbage, so go simple with the method and also you’ll have a dish match for the desk very quickly in any respect!
Flavours & pairings
The pure cabbage sweetness is the hero of the dish, complemented by a good layer of garlic that permeates by way of the oil.
With a remaining contact of pepper-light warmth from the chilli so as to add distinction to the sweetness of cabbage, that is greatest served with a aromatic bowl of jasmine rice.
- 3 massive garlic cloves, roughly chopped
- 3 cups white cabbage, very finely sliced or shredded
- 1 agency/exhausting tofu, sliced into 1cm rectangles and shallow-fried
- 1/2 massive pink chilli, finely sliced at an angle
- 2 stalks spring onion, minimize into 2cm items (separate the white stalks and inexperienced leaves)
- 1 tsp cornflour blended with 2.5 tbsps water
- 1 tbsp impartial oil
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 1.5 tsp gentle soy sauce to complete (non-obligatory)
- Warmth a wok on a low flame and add the tablespoon of impartial oil reminiscent of canola or sunflower.
- Add the garlic to the wok earlier than the oil involves temperature. Gently coax the garlic by way of the oil and permit it to construct flavour.
- Now add the spring onion stalks (white sections) and stir by way of till fragrant.
- Earlier than the garlic turns golden, add the finely shredded cabbage. Flip the flame as much as a medium warmth.
- Add just a few pinches of salt, then toss all the things effectively for 30 seconds.
- Add the fried tofu to the wok, then pour the cornflour liquid across the rim so it distributes evenly.
- Toss all the things collectively effectively. Add one other tablespoon of water and toss once more for 10 seconds.
- To complete, add the spring onion leaves and chilli. Flip the wok as much as medium-high warmth and toss for a remaining 10 seconds.
- Plate and drizzle with some sesame oil, and it’s able to be loved!
- For an non-obligatory further layer of seasoning, spoon over some gentle soy sauce on the desk.
Discover extra recipes from The Orange Sieve here.
@theorangesieve serves up recipes from the guts, impressed by travels close to and much. It’s all about meals that humbly invitations you to find the reality about flavour: the individuals, the tradition and the tales behind them… the type of meals that leaves you with a smile for causes you’ll be able to’t fairly put your finger on.